Thursday, December 19, 2013

Every victory is a Non Scale Victory!!!!!

After throwing away my scale last spring...I must say that it's a decision I don't regret in the least.  I love reading fitness and weight loss blogs, but I swear most of them center around what the flipping scale says or doesn't say.  I let my scale wreck havoc on my life since I was in 5th grade.....almost 25 years! 

Since joining crossfit I've met some AMAZING people.  There are a couple girls that are tiny.  They are extremely muscular but all in all, very small....and they weigh WAY more than you'd ever think.  The scale doesn't show body composition, it doesn't show muscle mass, it doesn't show how your endurance and stamina have increased.....it shows nothing except a number. 

It's so fun to see small victories without even blinking an eye about what the scale might say.  I get true joy when I set a personal record while doing a lift, or doing 18'' box jumps for the first time, or going on a run and not feeling as fatigued as I would've a month earlier.  I love it!  I wish all of us would throw our scales away and just work hard.  We all know that if we eat better and get more exercise we'll lose weight and get fit......so why do we need a scale to tell us something we already know?  I read a blog not too long ago where the gal was frustrated that she weighed 125 lbs and couldn't get back to 122 lbs....which is where she wants to be.  Ummmmm......SERIOUSLY?!    Do you look good in your clothes?  Do you feel good about yourself?  Are you making good choices?  Then freaking WHO CARES what the scales says?  Good grief! 

The other thing is I swear all scales weigh slightly differently.  I remember weighing myself on my bathroom scale, then on my basement scale only to find an 8 lb difference.  Needless to say I convinced myself that I was the weight that was the lesser of the two evils. 

If you are one of those people who obsess about the scale, give yourself a gift this coming year.  Take a break from it.  Put it in the closet for a month or better yet, throw the darn thing away.  Like anything it's hard at first, but soon you'll feel free of it's shackles....and that my friend is worth it's "weight" in gold. 

By the way.....I bought myself a new kettlebell!  The 15 lb bell was no longer much of a challenge and when I workout at home I needed something to help me keep getting stronger.  Meet my 30 lb bell.  Ahhhh, isn't she pretty!    I love her already!

No comments:

Post a Comment