Friday, January 31, 2014

cancer update

I officially have dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans or DFSP.  It's a super rare skin cancer.  It's not caused from the sun, as most people assume and it's usually found in areas of the body that see little to no sun.  It's slow growing and most people are misdiagnosed for years and year, just like I was. 

I officially meet with the oncologist Monday morning.  From talking to the financial advisor, it sounds like the Dr.  wants me to start chemo asap.  This specific cancer drug costs $10,000 per month!  She's going to try and see if she can get me a free 90 day supply.  Can you believe how expensive it is?! 

I contacted crossfit and told them they needed to put my membership on hold.  I will not be able to continue the high intensity workouts during this process.  I still plan on getting exercise, just on a much smaller level.  I still can't believe all this is happening to me.  My biggest worry a week ago was how I was going to scrape together $500 to pay for the removal of what I thought were cysts.  Seems pathetic to what I have to face now.  Between surgeries, MRI's, CAT scans, chemo, labs, etc, I'm going to guess this is easily going to cost $100,000 or more.  I have no idea how it's all going to work itself out, but I have to have faith that it will. 

Very rare does this cancer spread, but it does have a high chance of coming back over and over again.  To be honest, reading all the side effects of the chemo has me a nervous wreck.  This is just so much......so very much to worry about.  My husband starts his night job this Sunday evening.  My rock and comfort will be gone working when I need him the most. 

At this point I'm just trying to take it day by day, hour by hour.  Looking too far in advance just scared the poo outta me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment