Thursday, August 8, 2013

sled dragging = best WOD ever!

I went online last night and looked at today's WOD.  It looked so good, I had to go to crossfit today even though I don't normally go on Thursdays.  I've been wanting to try my hand at sled dragging/pulling and haven't been able to make it when they've done it in the past. 

So I've been trying different things for breakfast to see what feels the best when I crossfit.  I'm surprised to say that carbs give me the best endurance through my workouts.  I used to only eat things like eggs, bacon, protein packed things but would constantly feel sick during the WOD's.  I tried cereals, but the small amount of sugars seemed to upset my stomach as well.  I've finally settled on a super small bowl of organic oatmeal.  It's just enough to keep me from getting hungry, I have a nice constant flow of energy during the workouts and I never feel sick.  I bring along a protein shake in a small cooler that I keep in the car and drink on the way home.  Having protein directly after a workout is one of the fastest ways to replenish your muscles.  It also greatly helps decrease soreness that we feel the next day after a grueling workout. 

Anyhoo so today we started off with a 400 meter run.  Instead of trying to stay with the group, I stuck to a comfortable pace and really worked on my breathing and keeping good form.  I was definitely the slowest out of the group, but for the first time I didn't feel like I was gasping for air and going to die.  I felt fairly comfortable.  What a nice change of pace!! 

Our skill set was Romanian Deadlifts.  These really work the back of your legs and your bum.  We did 3 sets of 10.  Ohhh I could definitely feel the burn.  Then we did 3 sets of 10 hip thrusters.  You lay on the ground the place the barbell on your hips.  Then you put your feet on the ground, so your knees are up in the air at about a 90 degree angle.  Then you push up with your hips and clench your bum and lift the barbell off the ground.  This was quick exhausting.  My legs were shaking they were so tired. 

Next we got in groups of 3 and started our WOD.  We used a sled.  It looks similar to this.
 
 
 
We had to pull it down the alley, walking backwards.  Then turn around and drag it back up the alley, walking forwards.  You can definitely feel the different muscle groups it takes to pull it backwards, vs dragging it forwards.  Next we did 20 toes to bar, but for those who aren't able to do those, we'd do 10 ab wheels.  Then 20 wall balls.  We each had to do those three stations, three times.  So basically we did 9 stations in all.  It took our group a total of 25 minutes to complete the WOD.  We were right with the rest of the groups.  It was great to feel like I wasn't slowing my group down. 
 
I loved the sleds.  I've seen them being used on shows like The Biggest Loser and Extreme Weight Loss Edition.  I felt powerful, strong, and accomplished.  They are definitely my new favorite at crossfit. 
 
 
My husband is out of town on business, which means I can get away with super simple, kid friendly meals.  Time to figure out a healthy lunch and dinner before the day gets away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment